Today I thought I would write a post that touches home to many people I know and I’m sure lots of strangers. I know it happens often and my family had to go through it a few years back with one of my uncles. Anyways, over the years I’ve heard many people say that people commit suicide because they’re selfish which isn’t the case at all. It’s because they’re hurting and are tired of the pain, it’s hurts the family’s of those who commit suicide when you say their family members committed suicide because they’re selfish when that definitely wasn’t the case.
In honor of suicide awareness day; September 10th, 2017 I would write a little bit about suicide awareness as I’m sure suicide has touched a lot of people’s lives including strangers who will be reading this. I personally am logically and need to see the facts/statistics written out so I can visualize them in my head to be able to comprehend them.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- Each year 44,193 Americans die by suicide.
- For every suicide 25 attempt.
- Suicide costs the United States $51 billion annually.
- On average, there are 121 suicides per day.
- Firearms count for almost 50% of all suicides.
- Men die 3.5x more often than women.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for ages 10-24.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for college-age youth and ages 12-18.
- More teenagers and young youth adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease; COMBINED!
- Four out of five teens who attempt suicide have given clear warning signs.
- Each day in our nation, there are an average of over 3,470 attempts by young people grades 9-12.
There’s some facts about suicide for y’all to think about! Hopefully this makes some people think twice before spouting off that the person/people who commit suicide are selfish because that isn’t the case, actually that’s far from it; it’s because the person who commits suicide is tired of hurting.
From the family member of a family who lost someone because they committed suicide please think twice before you say that to the family/friends of the person who committed suicide!
Hopefully this helps people out some!